Independence Day in the US May Become Independence Day in Mexico for Abused Big Cats
Update 8/27/2022 Pat Craig, from Wild Animal Sanctuary, gives a no-nonsense, plain speaking account of how the abuse at #BJWT began, continued for decades and then ended in tragedy at: https://online.publicationprinters.com/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=&edid=a0aed5c3-b24e-4dfe-a720-05c54f3b3271&pnum=32
Update 7/5/2022 Authorities seize possession of Black Jaguar White Tiger to evaluate the cats and get them treatment and new homes. https://news.yahoo.com/wild-animal-sanctuary-mexico-shuts-055840115.html
Shout out to https://www.facebook.com/CaptiveWildlifeWatchdog/ who has documented a long history of BJWT and Eddie Serio.
Questions for Eddie Serio, his staff, or anyone inside Black Jaguar White Tiger
Just like you, I have a lot of questions about what is happening at #BJWT. I can’t speak Spanish, despite spending a lot of time with Rosetta Stone trying to learn, so I need the help of anyone who has real knowledge from inside this organization. Perhaps for those of us who rely on English we can use this page and its comment section below as a way to gather facts about what happened to the cats at Black Jaguar White Tiger. Please only comment with what you KNOW to be true, or if you have good reason to believe it true, let us know where or how to verify it.
News reports said they found 203 big cats alive and more than a dozen in critical condition. Eddie was telling people there were over 400 cats. What happened to them and where are they now? If they are dead, did he traffic their teeth, claws, and hides? Were they buried? Where? Burned? Who saw this? He could not have killed 200 big cats and burned or buried their bodies by himself, so someone knows more than they have told.
Does anyone have a list of the species and the cats’ names? Approximate dates of birth, or when they first showed up on social media as cubs?
Does anyone have a list of where each cat went during the July 5, 2022 raid?
Does anyone know what those facilities are like; ie: do they breed wild cats for life in prison, are they willing to let outsiders come in to spay and neuter the cats, what are the new names associated with the old names from BJWT so we can continue to track them?
Did all of the cats leave that day or are some still at the facility with no water? If so, who are the cats and who is feeding and bringing in water daily? Who is funding that?
Were any of the cats killed during the raid; either due to mishandling, or to put them out of their obvious pain and misery? If so, who was killed and why?
My belief is that once the cats were too big for Eddie to show off with, is when they would be relegated to overcrowded, barren pens where cameras were not allowed. I think Yael said that by the time cubs were close to a year old is when they would start being neglected and that’s about when they become too dangerous for contact, even by those who raised them. Can anyone verify that this was the plight of all of the cubs as they aged?
Is Black Jaguar White Tiger Foundation really a non profit or a company?
Where is it registered and who are the board members? Do they have the power to oust Serio and if so, have they done it yet?
Is it still a company or has it dissolved? Under Mexican law (presumably) what rights do the board members have to distance themselves from Serio and make things right for the animals? Is there a U.S. version as well since so much of his fundraising was in North America?
Who controls BJWT’s bank account, credit cards, etc? Did Serio leave any of the money for the animals?
Why was BJWT Hemp established in Florida by Eduardo Serio and Seth Allan Semilof on Jan. 30, 2020? Why did it list Eddie’s address as 21021 Ventura Boulevard #340 Woodland Hills, CA 91364. Does he live in California part of the time? Why was it dissolved on 9/24/2021?
Why is the 2020 990 the last one available online and why does it list Black Jaguar White Tiger’s address as being 1820 N. Corporate Lakes Blvd. #207 Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33326? In the 900 Serio claims the accountant has all of the information regarding distribution of funds and that is Lugallo Accounting Inc and lists 1820 N. Corporate Lakes Blvd. #207 WESTIN, FL 33326 as its address. It also lists Serio as the only officer and highly paid employee.
The way Eddie Serio was able to part so many people from their money was his clever use of social media. He could control what people saw, heard and believed there. Who controls the Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, YouTube and other social media platforms he uses?
Is there anyone, other than Serio, who has the legal right to contact those platforms and have Serio barred from using them? If the remaining board members want to save face, they should take over the accounts, admit their knowledge or ignorance of the conditions there, and then take positive steps to restoring their reputation by speaking out against captive breeding, and private ownership of wild cats.
Where is he?
Is it true that he’s been on the run since April 2022? July news reports said he’d abandoned the animals 3 months ago, so who was in charge during that time?
Did the alleged money laundering schemes involve BJWT?
Did any of the charges against Serio include other big cats breeders and dealers and if so, who?
Got a question? Put it in the comments below and maybe we will add it here.
News Articles About Black Jaguar White Tiger Being Shut Down By Authorities
The Asociación de Zoológicos, Criaderos y Acuarios de México, A.C. tweeted on July 4, 2022 “Veterinary doctors specializing in felines meet outside the property where the abandoned and mistreated specimens of Black Jaguar -White Tiger are found. @BJWT they do not give us access. We urgently request support @Claudiashein,
@PROFEPA_Mx, @blancamendozav, @SEMARNAT_mx
The Asociación de Zoológicos, Criaderos y Acuarios de México denounce the owner of Black Jaguar-White Tiger for mistreatment and abandonment of felines. Eduardo Mauricio Moises Serio, owner of the “Great Mexican Black Jaguar-White Tiger Sanctuary” or ” Black Jaguar White Tiger” was criminally denounced before the Attorney General’s Office (FGR) for the abandonment and mistreatment of hundreds of felines of various species, several of them in danger of extinction. The Association of Zoos, Breeders and Aquariums of Mexico (AZCARM) reported that at the end of June it filed a criminal complaint against the owner of the sanctuary, also known as “Papa bear”.
In 2015, the Black Jaguar-White Tiger Foundation obtained the registration issued by SEMARNAT SGPA/DGVS/03716/15 as a Property and Facility that Manages Wildlife in a confined manner outside its natural habitat (PIMVS) this at kilometer 36 from Picacho Ajusco Highway , San Tomás Ajusco, then Tlalpan delegation, where it housed a population of more than 300 felines including tigers, lynxes, jaguars, panthers and lions of all ages.
“The foundation also does not have wildlife management plans, legal origin of the specimens, adequate markings or any type of sanitary welfare measures for animals, completely failing to comply with current regulations,” he added.
The head of government of Mexico City, Claudia Sheinbaum , announced that her administration has contacted the Federal Attorney for Environmental Protection (Profepa) to intervene and rescue the felines.
The head of the Secretariat for Citizen Security (SSC), Omar García Harfuch, pointed out that he intuited the Animal Surveillance Brigade of the capital unit so that, in coordination with the Attorney General’s Office (FGJ), the Environmental and Territorial Ordering Office (PAOT) and the Government of Mexico, carry out the necessary actions to prevent, investigate and punish any form of animal abuse present in the operations of Black Jaguar-White Tiger.
Hell on Earth
In 2022 Arturo Islas Allende and Yael Ruiz documented these dire conditions where last year’s cute, Internet famous cubs, are now starving to death and eating their own tails saying, “Hell on Earth” These are images of the interior of the @blackjaguarwhitetiger foundation of @eduardoserio the foundation which became a holocaust, a crime. For 2 years @yael__ruiz was working there collecting information, videos and hard evidence about what happens inside. It takes time to share out of fear. I was able to see, record and witness the horror, I have been visiting him periodically for a long time, a complaint was filed with @profepa_mx and other authorities days ago and nothing has happened. They do not react. We don’t know what’s going on with the inspectors and that was the reason why we decided to release this video to the public. We need the support of society so that the authorities act quickly, this is a call to @claudia_shein. Let’s write to her and tag her so she can act as soon as possible. We still have time to save about 100 animals of the 400 that were there recently. Where have they all gone? It is in our hands to save them. Many of the animals are so skinny that their metabolism is paralyzed and they require URGENT medical attention. The images speak louder than words. Also Ajusco is in Tlalpan delegation that you know well. We really have time to save them! @blackjaguarwhitetiger posted a few days ago that he still has 400 animals but it’s a LIE; most of them have died, and there are around 100 left. It’s time to act; to report evidence and we want to collaborate with the authorities to give them more evidence we have. We invite the brave this coming Tuesday, July 5 to come to @blackjaguarwhitetiger foundation so that you yourselves, with your cell phones, can see and record the holocaust. We will leave at 12 on the day of the entry of six flags Mexico. https://www.facebook.com/arturoislasallende/videos/570744034430855
The History of Black Jaguar White Tiger and Eddie Serio
He claims his first wildcat was a jaguar he got in 2013 named Cielo. Eduardo belongs to a well-positioned circle in the south of Mexico City. His father, Eduardo Moisés Salomón, was linked to a network of money laundering and sale of invoices in the Edicom case, a company accused of financing just over 23 million pesos for the Monex electronic wallets used for Enrique Peña Nieto’s campaign as reported in 2012, according to the newspaper Reforma. I thought that maybe he was just ignorant of how posing with cubs was harming them, so when I was in Mexico in April 2015 Vanessa Thomas had tried to arrange a visit between us, but he refused. Turns out he wasn’t just ignorant, but was willfully so.
In 2016 this blog https://icarusinc.blog/2016/01/20/with-a-sleight-of-social-media-hand-how-black-jaguar-white-tiger-continues-to-choose-slander-over-answers/ stated, “…according to Eduardo, there is only one sanctuary, and one person who has been “hating” on him for “the last 9 months”.
That sanctuary, according to Eduardo, is Big Cat Rescue, which is internationally renown, accredited by the Global Federation of Sanctuaries (unlike BJWT) a member of the World Society for Protection of Animals, certified by the Independent Charities of America as a “Best in America Charity” and has been Rated 4 Stars by Charity Navigator (their highest rating) and has one of the highest scores of any animal based charity. And the single person Eduardo claims has been persecuting him for precisely 9 months, is Carole Baskin, BCR’s founder. Why Eduardo has chosen to fixate on Carole and BCR isn’t clear, nor is the very precise description of the “last 9 months” ever explained in his rantings.”
Excellent, common sense 2019 article
How Black Jaguar White Tiger gets their cubs for celebrities including Lewis Hamilton, Paris Hilton, Khloé Kardashian, Kendall Jenner, Ellen DeGeneres, Kaley Cuoco, the Backstreet Boys, Maluma, Paola Rojas, Monserrat Oliver and dozens of other celebrities and rich people to pet. Read it now.
The first thing Pappa Bear fans need to know is why it is always cruel to post images of people petting big cats or their cubs. See why here: Cubs
May 2, 2018 When clueless celebrities post photos of themselves posing with cubs, their fans let them know it’s a cruel, selfish and ignorant thing to do. Katy Perry Angers Fans With Tiger Cub Selfies At least Katy Perry got the message and immediately removed the offending photo shoot she did at Eddie Serio’s Black Jaguar White Tiger cub mill.
Dec 6, 2017 Instagram begins to flag animal abuse hashtags. Now, if you search for cruel acts to do, such as #TigerSelfie Instagram pops up a notice saying “Protect Wildlife on Instagram Animal abuse and the sale of endangered animals or their parts is not allowed on Instagram. You are searching for a hashtag that may be associated with posts that encourage harmful behavior to animals or the environment.” If you type in #blackjaguarwhitetiger you get that warning now.
Hopefully this will put an end to the abusive practice of speed breeding big cats to pull their cubs for pay to play schemes and as ego props in photos and videos posted online.
Nov 14, 2017 Watchdog BJWT posted the following opinion piece and we agree that people need to just stop and think a minute, before they share those cub images, because even a few moments of thought should make people wonder why so many tiny cubs and where are they now?
A Facebook Page going by the name of “Action” posted a video of Serio with the title “This man has rescued over 300 big cats. ” This video was shared over 100,000 times. I’ve had a long think about how I’m going to address these grievous actions and I’ve come to the conclusion that I will stick to the facts and omit my more profanity filled opinions about this arsehole. Those are for another day. Let me educate you all:
1. There is no legal definition of a “sanctuary” in Mexico. There are only “private collectors” of big cats and Zoological Parks.
2. Black Jaguar White Tiger is registered as a “Zoological Entertainment Facility.” Therefore, and make no mistake about this, his facility is NOT a “sanctuary,” it is a ZOO.
3. Eduardo Serio is an ex LA Socialite who spent his years growing up in Hollywood rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous. He had shares in a company by the name of Social Reality Inc, a company worth over US$300million. Social Reality Inc is an Internet advertising and technology company. It specializes in developing tools that automate online advertising and digital marketing activities. Serio, according to Serio, sold his share portfolio to fund his Zoo. He is first and foremost, a savvy business man. He has NO knowledge or education or science background in animal husbandry, or big cat behavior and ecology. Nada.
4. He started as a “private collector” of big cats. First with a Jaguar, Cielo, then a lion, Karma and a tiger, Tieris. He shared his house in Monterrey with his three pets together with his co founder of the foundation and now ex girlfriend Rachel Brandt.
5. At that time, his social media accounts were private. His Instagram account consisted of cute videos of his three pets frolicking in swimming pools, playing in his house, with his friends, suckling pacifiers like babies, and chewing on inappropriate items which resulted in the death of Karma.
6. He hit upon the idea of making his Instagram public. Once he pushed that button, Black Jaguar White Tiger was thrust into cyberspace resulting in hundreds of thousands of followers in just a few days. The draw card being the “cutesy” videos of big cat cubs kept as pets in a mansion.
6. When he realized he was sitting on a “fame” goldmine, he upped the videos and started using the word “rescue.” You see, up until that point, he was using the word “adopt.” It just didn’t have the same impact, nor did it pull on the heartstrings of the public in the same way the word “rescue” did. Of course, as the sun rises and sets, his Instagram exploded to what it is today. Over 7 million followers, nearly all of them clueless and ignorant about the ethical management of captive wildlife. Black Jaguar White Tiger has turned into a cub petting empire.
7. PROFEPA and SEMARNAT have given him rescued circus cats. That is true, as there are NO other facilities available to house them other than zoos which are already filled to capacity. The officials were quite impressed with his fame and social media standing. Both government agencies have no idea about the ethical keeping of apex predators and have positioned Serio as Mexico’s foremost expert of big cats. Think about that. A man with no background, education or science.
8. Once BJWT was established, Serio began bringing in more and more cubs. ALWAYS small, nursing cubs. Even with the ban on circus animals, the number one cat “rescued” at BJWT is nursing cubs. If you all go far enough back in his Instagram feed, you’ll find numerous cubs, newborns still with their umbilical cords attached, accompanied with Serio’s bizarre reasons why he has “rescued” them. “The mothers abandoned them, the mothers can’t nurse them, they are runts, they are inbred and have problems.” This list of make believe reasons is regurgitated numerous times when new cubs appear. Same old story, different days. In essence, Serio is a private pet owner, who “claims” to have “rescued” dozens and dozens of big cat cubs, whom he has then used to induce people to follow his social media sites. Without these nursing cubs, Serio’s powerful presence on social media would not be what it is today. How is it that new born cubs magically appear, like clock work, when the previous batch has reached a certain age and can no longer be housed in the mansion? Please use your cognitive thinking when trying to search for an answer. Think about that.
9. Everyone must use an objective gaze when looking at conservation, and apply it here. What functional impact on the protection of wild jaguars does a video of a man pushing a jaguar cub around in a child’s push-car toy have? Nothing. That video is a video of a man playing with his pet. It has, literally, no effect on, or connection to, the protection of existing wild species. But Serio uses the hashtag #protectjaguars and claims that his video of himself playing with his pet somehow promotes “conservation”. This is his gimmick, his schtick. He claims to “raise awareness” via his social media, and yet the only awareness he raises is for his own interactions with his animals.
10. In the public eye BJWT and Serio are the “new face” of conservation, which consists of giving cats a home once they’ve been rescued, but to those of us actively working in conservation–and trying desperately to get the public to care about WILD big cats currently living in wild habitats–Serio is nothing more than false advertising. Nothing he does, or says, helps WILD populations, and all the attention he gets comes from captive bred animals, which were captivity bred just so he could use them to get attention. He is literally actively ADDING to the problem of native big cats, while claiming to solve problems in the wild.
11. There is a long laundry list of questionable methods and practices at BJWT. The mixing of big cat species takes top spot. Here is a fantastic article describing this flawed practice Serio forces on his cats. Please educate yourselves: https://www.facebook.com/notes/bjwt-watchdog/why-idealistic-communes-are-both-legendary-and-almost-non-existent/2007238446165632/
12. Cub-petting is, by definition, something done for, and benefiting only to, the humans who are doing the petting. A big cat literally has no need to ever be held by human hands. This is the sort of objective gaze with which conservation must be viewed, with the questions of “How does this animal, and future wild populations benefit from what’s going on?” and “Is this being done for the animal alone?” always in the back of your mind. When you apply those questions to situations like very small cubs being used for photo props, or in situations where customers can pay to hold and play with them, the the fact that those cubs are being bred and produced solely to be used to make money through charging customers a price to play with them is obvious. In the case of BJWT, his celebrity friends are pushing the idea that handling big cats is a “normal” practice and does have conservation value. IT DOES NOT. BJWT HAS NO CONSERVATION VALUE WHATSOEVER.
13. Serio has inspired other foundations which are being actively established, such as Malkia Park in Slovakia, which interact with their cats just like Serio does, and whom Serio supports. But again, these places are breeding cats, and allowing the public to interact with them in order to make money, and they have, literally no impact on actual conservation, aside from the fact that they’re changing the public’s perception of it. People are now coming to think that to go to these parks, and play with the animals is supporting conservation of wild species. And just like the Tiger Temple in Thailand, which commodified their animals, together with other facilities which engage in these same practices, are damaging conservation efforts world wide. The greatest damage being done to wild animals today is the commodification of conservation.
THANK YOU. by Watchdog BJWT
How can anyone be a follower of Eddie Serio when they see him kick a small cat and mock the cat’s worried owner in this video? https://www.facebook.com/astiffany
Here is a great article from 2016 https://projecticarus2015.wordpress.com/2016/07/01/cubs-cubs-everywhere-and-with-them-oh-the-funds-well-snare/
This is another excellent article about Black Jaguar White Tiger.
Where do celebrities go to pet cubs? There are a few backyard breeders in the U.S. but the place that attracts the most, and ignorant celebrities is Black Jaguar White Tiger in Mexico.
You know the public opposes cub breeding and handling when Gizmodo goes after the perpetrators of such cub petting schemes with a vengeance like this article.
This is another well considered article that exposes the lies: https://projecticarus2015.wordpress.com/2016/03/21/a-rescuer-is-supposed-to-rescue/
Yahoo Celebrity News understands why it’s wrong: https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/celebs-favorite-animal-sanctuary-raises-serious-004456713.html
And bloggers speak out against using cub petting as a way to end cub petting. #BJWT (we had to remove the link to this article because she said she was being threatened and harassed by the BJWT gang.
Artemis Grey calls out Eddie Serio when he tries to act like he’s answering the questions people have, but really isn’t https://projecticarus2015.wordpress.com/2016/01/20/with-a-sleight-of-social-media-hand-how-black-jaguar-white-tiger-continues-to-choose-slander-over-answers/
Black Jaguar White Tiger
We get a lot of questions about Black Jaguar White Tiger, asking if it is a legitimate sanctuary. We don’t think so for the reasons listed below.
Sadly, it’s starting to become popular among animal lovers, despite their extremely unprofessional practices. Like not knowing how to bottle feed a cub and having her blow milk out her nose, which leads to pneumonia:
Black Jaguar White Tiger is a newly-founded private “rescue” for big cats, which started about a year or so ago in a wealthy area of Mexico City. It’s owned and operated by a Mr. Eduardo Serio. While he seems to have good intentions, they are paired with some very questionable practices.
Serio appears to “rescue” his animals by buying them from circuses and private zoos, usually as young cubs. Very young cubs. Cubs that still have a lot of lucrative weeks left in them for the abusers. This, of course, is a counterproductive strategy in the long run, because it only encourages the bad breeders to keep breeding. He claims to have “saved” over 30 cats in his first year of operation, which is scary. I know he probably wants to “save them all”, but at that rate, things are going to get out of hand very quickly. Unless he has a lot of resources or learns to say “no”, I’m worried it’s going to turn into a hoarding situation. Serio supposedly has 100 acres of land, but the enclosures are already starting to look pretty crowded, if this video is anything to go by.
Serio states that he does not spay or neuter his animals. My best guess for the reason, given his other opinions, is that he probably believes that it is “cruel” to do so because it would deny them the “natural life” he’s trying to provide (some domestic pet owners still believe this). Unsurprisingly, his cats appear to be breeding like rabbits. On July 16, he posted a video on Facebook of a new litter of lion cubs. In response Serio has said that someday he will use contraceptives, but there are no safe contraceptives for use in big cats. Any zoo can tell you horror stories (if they are honest with you) about the cancers and other health issues that are caused by using pharmaceutical solutions to over breeding.
If you are running a sanctuary and want the cats to not breed and live long happy, healthy lives, then you spay and neuter. Doing it when they are younger increases the cat’s ability to survive the procedure and recover, so there is no excuse not to do it, especially if you have males and females living together.
And in this video, a poor lion can’t even eat without having 3 young tigers trying to steal his food (although I don’t know the origin of the tigers – they may have been “rescued” (i.e. bought). Unlike other breeders, however, Serio does not sell cubs because he firmly believes that nobody should “own” an animal. Nobody except him, of course, because he “loves” them. So all of the cubs are just piling up at his ranch and causing serious overcrowding issues. While he does occasionally invite people (especially famous people) to pet them, he hasn’t turned it into a business… yet. He really seems to hate the people who breed cubs for photo props, having “rescued” several malnourished cubs from photo displays. However, his site does mention that he is planning a “volunteer” program, which conjures up images of those places in South Africa where people essentially pay to play with big cats.
By far, the biggest problem I have with Serio’s new “Foundation” is that it’s constantly churning out photos and videos on Instagram and Facebook. I’m sure you’re well aware of this, but these photos show Serio patting adult lions on the head, “play-wrestling” with tigers, pushing jaguars around in wheelbarrows, hugging lionesses, and other inappropriate (and unsafe) behaviors. He even has videos of exotic cats living peacefully in his house like a pet, which only encourages the pet trade. Serio (and his followers) often refer to the cats as “kids”, and visitors to the ranch are invited to “play” with 500-lb. adult lions – not a good idea.
Serio claims on his website that the reason his cats don’t attack people (and I’m not making this up) is “the bond of pure and innocent love that keeps us living harmoniously among one another”. It’s the very same fantasy that has doomed so many big cats to life as “pets” – people so desperately want to believe that as long as they have “love”, everything will be OK.
Hundreds of the people who have been mauled and killed by captive big cats thought they were special too and thought that their love for their big cat “friends” was all they needed. http://bigcatrescue.org/big-cat-attacks/
Of course, gaggles of well-meaning animal lovers (the same kind who would fall for cub-petting schemes) have nothing but praise for Serio and his “amazing bond.” They think that this is the way a real sanctuary is run, to say nothing of the hundreds who express their wishes for their very own pet big cat, or at least the chance to touch one. An ironic message for Serio to be sending, since he says he doesn’t believe that animals should be property.
We reached out to Serio a year or more before this post, because we thought he was doing himself a huge disservice by posing with cubs. We told him that no animal protection group would accept him or even think him a good person unless he stopped acting in such a hypocritical way. We tried to reason with him and didn’t expose him for a long time because we thought he was just foolish and not trying to be cruel. We could not continue to ignore him though when he began trotting celebrities through and having them pose with cubs because people will stupidly mimic celebrities without thinking about the consequences for the cats. We really tried to be nice and still want him to do the right thing.
Overall, I’d say that Black Jaguar White Tiger is nothing more than an ego project from a well-meaning, but seemingly delusional man. He often posts about the “horrible conditions” his cats came from and about how “happy” they are to live with him – and his followers eat it up, calling him an “angel” and praising him profusely for “saving” the animals. And of course, the celebrity snapshots and cute cub pictures have made him a rising star on Instagram. But I don’t think he’s only in it for the glory – he genuinely seems to think he’s “saving the world” by “rescuing” every circus cub in Mexico.
Sadly, like so many animal hoarders, he can’t see the harm he’s doing. This situation is only going to get worse, I’m afraid, especially with the lack of laws in Mexico regarding exotic animals as pets.
When Big Cat Rescue’s founder and CEO was in Mexico in 2015, Eduardo refused to speak to her or allow her to step foot on the property, because he knows that we do not condone posing with big cats. What else does he have to hide?